Why you need a weekly plan in your life

Last weekend, my boyfriend and I sat down for an hour to finalise our weekly plans. If you think that sounds like a fun afternoon, then you're absolutely right. A weekly plan isn't just a list of things we plan to do that week, but a fully scheduled timetable for us to follow. Structured but flexible. Organised but spontaneous. 

I like to be half open, half closed in my approach to scheduling my tasks. For example, I'll schedule block periods of work or free time in which its up to me how I want to use this time. But there's still structure in the way my days are organised e.g. waking up at the same time or having regular breaks. Here's an example of my own: 

So, you might ask what are the benefits of creating a weekly schedule? 

Well...here are some reasons why I think you should adopt the Weekly Plan Method (I think I may need a catchier name for it...!). 

1. Find areas to save time

The first, and probably most obvious, benefit of creating a weekly plan is that it can help you to save time. Thinking ahead and planning areas of your life in advance helps you to identify areas where you can save precious time. Do you spend half an hour looking at your phone after work? Do you spend a little bit longer in the shower than you should? Identifying these areas where you're being unproductive is the first step to creating an organised life. Consider swapping this free time with more productive tasks such as doing your laundry or tidying the kitchen. Or save time by removing them altogether and take an early finish at work!

2. No more dawdling

Do you ever finish a task and wonder what to do next? Gym? Walk? Tidying? Having a weekly plan takes the time out of having to remember what you need to do and deciding what on earth to do next.  Planning ahead when you know you'll need to complete certain tasks is the guaranteed way to ensure they get done. 

3. Stay flexible

You might think having a weekly plan is too structured for you and you prefer a spontaneous life. This may be true for the free-spirited of you, but for the average person its easy to add a bit of flexibility and spontaneity into your schedule without much difficulty. For example, I like to be flexible in my approach and set 'Free' time where I can be a bit more spontaneous and enjoy my hobbies as and when I feel like it. I also don't schedule my time at the weekends as I prefer these days to be a bit more relaxed and easy going. Make sure you schedule in free time to relax and avoid burnout, as not doing this will only cause you unproductivity in the long term! 

4. Let others know your plans

One of the most useful things about having a weekly plan is that you can share it with others. I put my plan on Google Sheets and share it with my family. Yes, admittedly, my brother rarely (if ever) looks at the document. But it does make a huge difference knowing when everyone is available and helps massively in coordinating group activities. 

5. Once you have a template, you're off

The first rule of weekly planning: always save a template week. This way you can have a basis to work from and adapt each week, saving you a huge amount of time. It's also helpful to have a regular schedule so that others know when you're likely to be around and to help with better organising your time. 

6. Create habits

The best thing about the weekly plan is that you're creating habits without even realising it. For example, if I plan to tidy for 15 mins after work every day, I'm slowly building up a positive habit that I repeat over and over again. It's not only possible to gain bad habits. Good habits can be incredibly useful and once you've found your overarching good habit, you will start to see the difference in your life. Put in tasks for times and days you know will help to formulate the habits. If you work better in the mornings, schedule tasks that require focus for then. If you find you're most productive tidying time is at 10pm, then schedule it for then! Try and make it as easy as possible for yourself.

I hope this has given you inspiration to create your own weekly plan!

Comments

Popular Posts